Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Even a little exercise counts!

First off, I need to wish my beautiful grandson Isaiah a 7th birthday! He has been such an important part of my life and one of the reason's I am determined to be healthier and live longer.

Ok, that being said, on to exercise. I have come to see how important some type of daily exercise is when you are attempting to get healthier. It strengthens your muscles, it increases your blood flow, lowers your blood pressure, and really just makes you feel good once you are done. I am no fitness guru and I don't go to the gym or spend an hour  doing aerobics or elliptical or even bike ride. Right now, my exercise routine is fairly simple. I WALK. Yep, thats it! No expensive gym membership where I would die if anyone saw me in leggings. No exercise equipment clogging my spare room or bedroom either. Just my old sneakers and whatever I have handy to throw on.

Best part is I can do it outside, or I can do laps in my bedroom if the weather is bad and they both count. I don't even have to do the full half hour in one session if I don't want to. With my back bothering me I am finding that I have to break it into two or three sessions but I am getting it done. Today so far I have walked at a moderate pace for 31 minutes and according to My Fitness Pal I have burned a total of 342 calories. I am pretty happy with that. The main goal is to just get moving. If you can't do half an hour, start with 15 minutes or heck start with 10 minutes if that is all you can do. You can and will build your stamina as you go along. My goals are 1) to work up to an hour a day of walking and then 2) to be able to run and do jumping jacks and sit ups and other things I can't do at the moment. I'm taking it in baby steps though. One day at a time.

Another important thing is water. You need it for hydration and it helps to curb your appetite. I have a 22 ounce plastic glass that I keep near me as much as possible. Each glass of that is almost 3 8 oz glasses of water. I can usually do at least 2 and sometimes 3 glasses which is 44 to 66 ounces of water a day. Bad side of this is I'm running to the john about every 30 minutes but hey, thats exercise too lol.

I'm learning that going over my sodium limit is almost a daily occurrence and that 2300 mg of salt adds up pretty dang fast. I had 2 maple sausage links, 1 scrambled egg and 12 tater tots for breakfast today and I'm already at half my limit. Yeah, I know I need to work on the breakfast thing but my hubby made me the breakfast and he doesn't do it every day. Usually its a bowl of raisin bran, rice crispies, or 2 packets of plain oatmeal. I have to really read labels and look up food before I eat it if I want to stay within my restrictions.

So that is it for today boys and girls :) Get up get moving drink your water and read your labels.

Until next time

Rottie

No comments:

Post a Comment